Sunday, September 03, 2006

Sorry I've been MIA. I started teaching preschool on Monday and by Tuesday I felt so sick. I thought it was a really bad cold but when I finally went to the doctor on Thursday I found out I had strep throat (which I've never had!), a sinus infection and double ear infections. No wonder I felt so bad. Since I didn't know that I had more than the most horrible cold ever, I did continue to go to school the entire week but I was careful to wash my hands constantly.

We had meet and greet the Friday before where all the children came to meet us and see their classroom. The Thursday that I went to the doctor one little girl went home with a fever and a sore throat and when another mom came at the end of the school day she said her daughter has had a horrible sore throat since the day of meet and greet. Hmmmm. Wonder where I caught this.

Here is an article that I found on blogging baby. It says that a classroom has more germs than a doctors office!

GERMS GO TO SCHOOL
Before I got married, I never got sick. No colds, no flu, not even a sniffle. Then I married a schoolteacher and now I get sick all the time. She doesn't get sick, she just brings the germs home to infect me. Turns out, she's got plenty left at school. A study from the University of Arizona shows that classrooms are the number one germiest workplace. Surfaces in classrooms have nearly twenty times more bacteria than those in lawyers' offices and seven times more than those in doctors' offices.
The discrepancy is most likely due to sick kids who really ought to be home in bed. According to a new survey released by the Clorox company, almost forty percent of parents admitted that they've sent a sick child to school at some time during the last year. Fourteen percent have sent a child to school with a temperature over 100 degrees. Interestingly, the survey also found that kids would rather get give up being sick than give up homework. The company is trying to do something about the problem by offering a free "Clean Up the Classroom" kit.
Although Clorox found that kids catch an average of eight colds per year and that teachers miss an average of 5.3 days each year due to being sick, they didn't note how many times the spouses of teachers get sick. I can tell you, however, that it's far too many.

No comments: